Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 12:25:14 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   H323, natd and phonepatch

Hi,

Using information found searching the mailing list archives, I have set my
home LAN up to the point where NetMeeting on my NT 4 (SP5) system can send
audio, video and chat to the 'net.  My natd/ipfw system is running FreeBSD
3.4-Release (with altq patches).  This system is also using PhonePatch
(trial version).  I've set ifpw/natd up to be OPEN (I'm not filtering
anything).

The problem is that I cannot receive audio or video.  Focusing initially on
H323, some information I've found says that the problem is that some NAT
implementations/configurations will not let this work.  Others say
PhonePatch can't support receiving audio/video via natd.  (I thought the
point of using a proxy such as PhonePatch was to allow this.)

Should I be able to receive audio and video via FreeBSD ipfw/natd using
PhonePatch ?

Until I know what should be possible, I can't know what to look for (nor can
I refute claims made against this setup.)   My reading of the PhonePatch
configuration page dealing with NAT is that as long as the port numbers are
not changed (e.g. just IP address is translated), PhonePatch will do what I
want.

Is anyone else doing this or have others given up?

Thanks,
MikeC