Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:06:12 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd08@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem creating sendmail.cf file from .mc using /usr/bin/m4

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 09:43:34 am Stephen Allen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I run /usr/bin/m4 freebsd.mc, the output looks ok, except that none
> of the define() lines show up in the output - even when running m4 on an
> unaltered freebsd.mc.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Many thanks,
> Steve

the generally accepted way, is to:

cd /etc/mail
make all

then, there will appear some configuration files that are of the name of the
server.  make all your edits to the [hostname].mc.  then, finish up with:

make all install restart

dont bother trying to edit the freebsd.mc file... mergemaster will stomp your
changes with a fresh copy of that file each time you upgrade.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org