Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:37:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux_base 5.2/sybase for linux

I just completed an install of the linux base package that emulates red
Hat 5.2 on a 3.3.4 system using the ports collection. My intention is to
use the linux emulation to run sybase for linux on my system.

I would like to get some input as to wheither I should try to run the
11.0.3.3 version  or the 11.9.2 version. Though I am leaning towards the
latter version.

I want to set up the database with a web frontend using php for the forms
and have it accept input form both a custom VB application and the php
forms.

 Right now the only documentation I can find on how to do this is an
article from comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc ( search Sybase via FreeBSD Author
is Reinoud van Leeuwon 4/4/2000 ) .

An article at www.samag.com ( january 2000 ) on emulating linux on
freeBsd.

and the Handbook section on emulating Linux.

there was an article at www.martin-place.com about sybase  but it seems to
be unavailable today.

I noticed when I run kldstat i get
a listing for the kernel

and
ID Refs Address  Size Name
2  1   0xc088d00 e000 linux.ko

and modstat gives me

modstat:/dev/lkm: device not configured

Questions:

What should be my next step?

I have downloaded the files from sysbase for 11.9.2.
 what command should I use to install them ( rpm for freebsd or the rpm in
the directory under linux compat directory) ?

I had and install fail last saturday ( different machine same OS, version
)when I used rpm without the linux compat path.

what conditions need to be in place to get it to work this time. I added
the options to the kernel from the Samag article.  What else do I need to
add or remove?

Kernel changes i made:

options "P1003_1B"
options "_KPOSIX_PRIORTY_SCHEDULING"
options "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
options SYSVSHM
options SYSVMSG
options SYSVSEM
options USER_LDT

I saw  these in questions email but I'm not sure if they are necessary

options SHMMAXPGS=10000
options SHMMNI=100
options SHMSEG=10
options SEMMNS=200
options SEMMNI=70
options SEMMSL=61

Are there any more articles I can read?

TIA

"I hope that after I die, people will say of me : " That guy sure owed me
a lot of money."

-JH