Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:24:16 -0700
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Tze-Heon Chang <thchang@mail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compatibility

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:54:15AM -0500, Tze-Heon Chang wrote:
> I am a user of HP-UX 10.20 on a HP Workstation, I wonder if i could tranfer
> the software from HP Workstation to a PC with FreeBSD and run it as usual.

Binary progrgrams will not run because HP-UX runs on the HP PA/RISC
architecture, which is a completely different CPU instruction set
than the machines that FreeBSD runs on (Intel x86 and Alpha).

In some cases, you can get equivalent software (e.g. most free
software runs fine on both).  In other cases, it will be more work
at best.

If you have the source code to the programs you want to run on
FreeBSD, you can probably port your programs to FreeBSD.  How easy
this task is depends on how well the software was written in the
first place.  If it was written to the POSIX standard, porting it
should be fairly easy.  If it was written to be HP-specific, it
will be more difficult.

I've used both HP-UX and FreeBSD.  Personally, I prefer FreeBSD.

--
Kenneth Ingham
ingham@i-pi.com