Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:12:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        <burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie questions

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just completed my first cvsup - driven upgrade (to 4.4-STABLE from
> 4.3-RELEASE) and for the most part it proceeded beautifully. I'm coming
> from Debian GNU/Linux and so far FreeBSD is knockin' me out. Couple
> things, tho:
>
> 1) After the make buildworld, et al steps I ran mergemaster as the
> Handbook recommended. This process repeatedly  prompted me to make
> decisions re: whether to keep things as they were or to install
> new. Default was to keep things as they were and I chose this in every
> case because I wasn't exactly sure what the best choice *was*.
>
> Was this, er, a bad choice?

not really. the problem will come up eventually that a new application, or
daemon will need to be run. i suggest installing the new
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, /etc/rc, /etc/rc.network, /etc/rc.shutdown, and all
the "periodic" scripts during your next mergemaster. ideally, you should
preserve your password (/etc/passwd, and /etc/master.passwd) and
group (/etc/group) files.

> 2) Dumb question but I searched on freebsd.org and couldn't find anything:
> after updating /usr/doc via cvsup, is there any *rebuilding* of man pages
> necessary? Do I need to make world in there, too?

not sure off hand. the doc stuff is mostly the handbook, and being able to
assist in the documentation project (i think, please correct me if i'm
wrong on this). there's little reason to have it, except to maintain the
latest version of hte handbook.

> One of the reasons I'm asking -both- these questions is that I'm getting a
> few "Warnings" and "Stray cats" when I run tkman, and I'm just wondering
> whether this is traceable to either of these things ...

well, the man pages themselves are rebuilt with the "make world" and
promptly installed after the actual binaries are done (make world is
essentially make buildworld, then make installworld. i tend to do the
buildworld first.. just in case it fails..).

i would rebuild tkman, and see if that fixes the problem.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche