Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:36:55 +0800
From:      Mars G.Miro <mars@cannoncreek.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   UDMA ICRC Read Errors

Hi all,

	I have a 20Gig Maxtor IDE HD that's acting as a secondary master
(/dev/ad3c) where /home is mounted and is also used to back up everything (so
it's one big UFS slice)
$ cat fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad3c               /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

	I still kept encountering these errors even when I have upgraded (just a
few hours ago) to 4.2-Stable:
Feb 12 13:36:00 x kernel ad3: UDMA ICRC READ ERROR blk# 35848256 retrying
Feb 12 13:36:00 x kernel ad3: UDMA ICRC READ ERROR blk# 33882176 retrying
	I first encountered them after installing the HD(by way of fbsd handbook
section 10.3.2.2, alternative method) circa Jan13 , but that time there was a
discussion on the same type of errors and that a patch(Soren) was to be MFC'ed
that was gonna fix them all. I was not able to upgrade it that time but only
now.
	Do the above errors tell that the HD may be broken? It's only about 1
month old.
 	Attached is a verbose dmesg.

cheers
mars