Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:31:21 +0800 (TSD)
From:      Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using dump(8)

keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:

[dd]

> > > are doing will be looking to see the modification dates on files to
> > > determine what needs dumping.
> > > Anyone with more info on this I'd like to know about it.
> > >

> > > #5 I've never known anyone to halt services while dumping a file system.
> >
> > So what is going to happen to the files that change during the dump? I
> > think they will be unreadable because dump mapped them with their old
> > size and will have dumped them with a different size or truncate the
> > end of them or whatever.
>

> 	This is one of those things I'd realy like more clarification on
> from somebody "in the know" on this.

Well, you can read 'man restore' for its error messages to see some of
the possible consequences:

     <filename>: not found on tape
             The specified file name was listed in the tape directory, but was
             not found on the tape.  This is caused by tape read errors while
             looking for the file, and from using a dump tape created on an
             active file system.

     expected next file <inumber>, got <inumber>
             A file that was not listed in the directory showed up.  This can
             occur when using a dump created on an active file system.

[dd]

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/149@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/