Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 12:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        jay.krell@cornell.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.x->4.1, my experience, Samba, dhcpd, ppp, nat, dns, named

At Sun, 15 Oct 2000 it looks like jay.krell@cornell.edu composed:

<humbly_snipped>

-->-- /etc/rc.local --
-->
-->Ok well, the answer is embedded in there. The boilerplate for /etc/rc.local
-->apparently changed between 3.x and 4.x. Upgrading requires updating it,
-->adding the "source_rc_confs" line. A better solution might be copy the last
-->part of rc.local to something like /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dhcpd.sh. I don't
-->know. This works for me.

</humbly_snipped>

My utmost thanks for the full email you sent, I am using *BSD's in
my house and work now in conjunction to the existing Linux machines
and when I went looking for the (Linux) /etc/rc.d/rc.local all I
came up with was rc.conf.

Your mention of /etc/rc.local made me read the manpage for rc.conf
and I have to ask if you mean the file /etc/rc.local or as the
manpage states, /etc/rc.conf.local ?

(A) Is there a difference ?

(B) Is it used as a "last chance" file to add stuff as has been the
/etc/rc.d/rc.local in Linux ?  (which causes big debates).

--
Bill Schoolcraft           http://wiliweld.com
PO Box 210076	        San Francisco, CA 94121

       " saevis tranquillus in undis "