Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:10:14 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        nsouch@free.fr, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbusifying kbd?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:23:31PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20030119233031.GA24377@dhcp01.pn.xcllnt.net>
>             Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> writes:
> : On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 10:51:29PM +0100, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
> : >
> : > Has anyone already thought about newbusifying kbd?
> :
> : I've been playing with the scary thought of redoing syscons completely;
> : whether rewriting or importing. It's not only kbd that needs
> : newbusification and fb(4) is really full of ISA/BIOS stuff.
> :
> : Anyway: this is beyond just newbusification...
>
> We can't support the various PCMCIA/CardBus docking stations easily in
> FreeBSD right now because kbd and other 'basic' things haven't been
> newbusified.
>
> Maybe we should just do a wscons port, now that it has shown its use
> in NetBSD.  wscons is very portable, but a little less user friendly
> than syscons.  syscons gives a better user experience, but tends to be
> a little x86 centric.

Yes. The sparc64 port also struggles with this. Jake was thinking
about importing wscons from NetBSD as well. I decided to replace the
x86/ISA centric VGA driver on the ia64 branch with a new PCI driver
and to make sc(4) itself not dependent on ISA. For some strange
reason we attach sc(4) to ISA, even though sc(4) itself is not an ISA
device. It sort of works, but no really. It's a hack in any case...

I like to call for a console project where all the issues can be raised
and discussed so that we have a good understanding of requirements and
problems before we do anything else. At the same time I realize that
we're all busy enough for yet another project...