Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:17:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-20000307-CURRENT kern.flp keyboard probe questions

Hi all...

Maybe there is a valid reason for this, but when I attempt to boot the 4.0
kern.flp without a keyboard attached (I share one keyboard between four
systems, here), it displays keyboard: no and the BTX loader message, and
ceases to display ANY output on the attached monitor (though it does
continue to access the disk, I'm assuming, until the MFS root floppy is
needed)?

I assume this is because, without a keyboard, the loader assumes a serial
console is attached.  This is not the case in my situation.

Isn't there a better way to identify a serial console?  And, if not, could
the loader at least not display a message on the local monitor like
"Switching output to serial console...", or better yet, "Switching output
to serial console in 10 seconds.. press any key to abort"?

IMO, something like the above might avoid some confusion in the future.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2