Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:56:58 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packet Engines, Inc. G-NIC II 1000BT Network Interface Card

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:28, othermark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to get this device working with -stable:
>
> none1@pci2:2:0: class=0x020000 card=0x13180001 chip=0x09111318
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Packet Engines, Inc.'
>     device   = 'G-NIC II 1000BT Network Interface Card'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet
>
> this page
>
> http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/Gigabit/drivers/PacketEngines.htm
>
> lists a 2.2.2 driver.  However I noticed
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/donations/donors.html includes a donation of
> this card to will@freebsd.org.   Is there a current driver?  I can't
> find one in /usr/src/sys.  Does anyone have this card working with
> -current or -stable?

The yellowfin got rolled over by the GigE marketplace steamroller.

Packet Engines was completely uncooperative with the open source
community.  I couldn't get docs on the chip even after my employer
bought them.  Now you can buy cards with better performance for 1/10
the price.  Throw it away and get an EEPro/1000, roughly $45 these
days.

Wes Peters                                              wes@softweyr.com