Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:56:21 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which printers work with Ghostscript?

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Mike Jeays wrote:

> I have version : Aladdin Ghostscript 5.10 (1997-11-23),
> with support for the following devices:
>
> Available devices:
>    x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11gray2 x11mono sxlcrt ap3250 appledmp bj10e
> bj200
>    bjc600 bjc800 ccr cdeskjet cdjcolor cdjmono cdj500 cdj550 cdj850 cp50
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    declj250 deskjet djet500 djet500c dnj650c epson eps9mid eps9high
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

{...}

> Will any of these work with an HP 695C, for example?  I see from the
> Ghostscript FAQ that the Epson 400 and lexmark 1000 are "Windows only",
> and want to be sure I don't get such an abomination by mistake.

It should be possible to get usable results with one of the DeskJet
related drivers (underlined above).  There is a file included with the gs
distribution which gives reasonably detailed info about the various
drivers.  I know at least one person with a 695 who is very happy with the
printer, though he doesn't use it (yet) from a free Un*x environment.

Probably any of the non-Windows only Canon, Epson and HP inkjet printers
would be a reasonable choice, if for no other reason than they'll at least
print straight ASCII without even needing gs - my Epson Stylus Colo(u)r
200 certainly does.

> Are there more up-to-date drivers for current printers that I
> can add?

Probably in a later release of gs (5.50 is out I think), which you'd have
to install.

> Is there a decsription of what each of these device codes means?

Yes there is such docco in a file included in the gs source distribution.
My 2.2.6 system, with gs 5.10 installed via a package, has the docs
installed in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/5.10/docs.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia