Date:      Sat, 04 May 2002 10:34:18 -0400
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@ntplx.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dhclient messages

David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 09:40:02 -0400
> >From: Ted Sikora <tsikora@ntplx.net>
>
> >Anyway of turning these annoying messages off?
> >Started after a cvsup/buildworld this week.
> >It's filling up the messages file and using a term is almost impossible.
>
> >May  4 09:00:34 dhcp-209-xx-xx-xx dhclient: New Network Number:
> >209.xx.xx.xx.xx
> >May  4 09:00:34 dhcp-209-xx-xx-xx dhclient: New Broadcast Address:
> >209.xx.xx.255
>
> Ummm.....
>
> * They should only show up when a lease is (re-)negotiated.  I would
>   be surprised if this occurs with much frequency on a well-administered
>   network.
>
> * How does it affect "using a term"??

The messages pop up over the term session.
Not a few probably 10 or so in succession... after a renew I guess.
Seems to come every few minutes. Haven't timed it.

Here's my recent lease info:

  renew 6 2002/5/4 09:51:28;
  rebind 6 2002/5/4 10:19:44;
  expire 6 2002/5/4 10:27:14;

so every 8 minutes or so they come I would guess.
Should I have the renew times set longer? The dhcp server is Solaris.

I have 3 -stable servers and a workstation they are all doing it after I
did a buildworld yesterday morning. Actually they first appeared after
just a kernel build on one machine the day before.

I had no messages on the console previously.

--
Ted Sikora
tsikora@ntplx.net