Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:00:37 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Welders causing dial-out to fail

This may be a little off-topic ...
I have a client who I installed a FreeBSD proxy server for.
It uses pppd to dial out on demand.  Right from the start, the
client has been having problems with the reliability of the
dial-out.  To make a long story short, after a lot of testing
and speculating, we determined that its electric welders in the
shop causing the problem.  There are five resistance welders in
the shop and when all five are working, the Internet connection
is simply unusable.  If two or three are in use, the Internet
is slow, the connection drops a lot and has to dial 2 or 3 times
to get a connection.  If nobody is welding, the Interenet
connection works perfectly.
The interference exists on all 4 phone lines, it's audable at
times on the voice lines (but never very bad) and has never
been bad enough to disrupt the fax machine.
We had the phone company (Verizon) come in and they basically
said, "Our wiring isn't the problem, you may want to have this
building rewired."
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?  Rewiring
the building is pretty much cost-prohibitive.  Verizon did install
a noise filter at their junction box, but the improvement is very
minimal.
We're searching a few avenues for a solution, one being the
manufacturers of the welding machines, but I thought I'd put the
question out to this list and see if anyone else has worked through
and found a solution for a problem like this.

TIA
--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology