Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:05:41 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: remote printing and SCO OpenServer

In the last episode (Jun 10), ADRIAN Filipi-Martin said:
> Hi folks,
>
> 	Has anyone set up remote printing from a SCO box to a FreeBSD
> one?  I have all of what I believe I shoud have enabled, yet nothing
> makes it accross wire.  The files queue up on the SCO side and the
> FreeBSD side logs a bade request as follows:
>
> Jun  9 15:57:17 ${FreeBSD_box} lpd[2113]: bad request (57) from ${SCO_box}
>
> 	Anyone got some ideas on what I should check into?

For some unknown reason, SCO's print queues default to using "extended
RLP" mode, which is (surprise) only supported on SCO Openserver 5
systems.  Edit your /etc/printcap file on the SCO machine and remove
the :ex: capability from your print queue.  That should unclog your
queue.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com