Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 11:33:42 +0900
From:      itojun@iijlab.net
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        sumikawa@ebina.hitachi.co.jp, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6-enable ports

> * Almost of applications work fine, but downwards compatibility is
> * depends on each implementations in general.
>For those that work for both v4 and v6, I think you should just go
>ahead and enable IPv6 by default.  (I'm assuming the patches are not
>*that* big.)  I don't want your jobs to be any harder than it already
>is.
>For those that only work for one, I suggest you make v4 the default
>and add a "slave" port that sets the v6 option on.  Something like
>this:
>ports/ftp/wu-ftpd: normal port, with USE_INET6 check you suggested
>ports/ftp/wu-ftpd+ipv6: slave port with only the Makefile
>===
>USE_INET6=	yes
>MASTERDIR=	${.CURDIR}/../wu-ftpd
>.include	"${MASTERDIR}/Makefile"
>===

	Yes, the plan looks fine.

	In most cases ports falls into the former category.
	I know of very few examples for the latter.

	I give you one example: apache.  Though apache6 works for both IPv4/v6,
	we may need to have apache and apache6 separately, because:
	- apache IPv6 patch needs to change internal C structure definition,
	  which *may* break 3rd party modules (I've never seen breakage though)
	- there are many ports that depends on (normal) apache
	- and apache is very famous and breakage is not allowed :-)

itojun