Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 16:08:42 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>, Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject:   Re: ps and console width

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> (If you only specify one "w", it STILL truncates the output, but this
> time to 132 instead of 80 columns!)
>
> Running either in a console session or in a KDE terminal session that
> is wide enough to see everything, the same problem occurs.  Stranger
> still, when I don't specify -w, it only returns my grep process.  But
> if I *do* specify -w, it shows the process it missed before, but not
> the grep process!

IMHO, grep occurence is random event (ps(1) manpage BUGS section), but
about width i can say onl, that how about window width in case of output
redirection? And ps still truncates output for 80 columns. I think, that
80 columns is default value, used whenever ps is unable to get window
size. Maybe sources may help, but i don't look in them yet.

With best regards, Alexander V Zubchenko