Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:46:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        cnote@tznet.com (Tim)
Cc:        freebsd-questions
Subject:   [Q] Archive 5540 tape drive

Tim wrote:

> Hello,
> In a long, long search for information on a company called Archive
> Corporation, I turned up your name with an e-mail address; it was attached
> to an article about a Archive tape drive.  My question if you would be so
> kind as to help, I recently aquired a tape drive for next to nothing, and
> it came with no disks or drivers of any kind, and also no documentation at
> all, so I am at a loss as to how to get it up and running.  It is older,
> uses 40 meg tapes, and runs off a floppy controller I assume, since that is
> the connecter on the back.  The only identifying marks on the drive (it is
> internal) are the Archive Corp name and model 5540.  Could you help in any
> way in finding any information; drivers, or programs that work with this
> drive? (ie. some sort of way people contact each other with help with
> relics). You seem to be very knowledgable about tape storage devices; and
> your name was associated with a posting about an Archive tape drive; so
> this is why I am bothering you....!  Any advice or help would be greatly
> apreciated.

	archive was purchased by conner.  conner was bought by seagate.

	you may have a tape drive that requires its own controller.
	tape drives connected to floppy controller is a rather new
	idea.  floppy tape drives are very poor performers.

	i will forward this to FreeBSD-questions.  perhaps someone
	has this drive and can help you with it.

jmb

ps	please email Tim directly, he is not subscribed to the list.