Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:17:01 +0800
From:      AlleyOop <ml@alleyoop.m8.ntu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   every day kernel panic in "setlock"

Hi all:
  Excuse me if here is the wrong place to report this kind question.

    Our machine is dual P3-750 with 2.5 GB RAM,
  running bbsd for about 3000-4000 on-line in the same time.
  Meanwhile , there will be over 4000 process .

  Recently , we update machine to 4.2-stable , and tuning some kernel
  variable , but it crashes every night when there are over 3800 people
  on line.
  We do not have enough swap to dump kernel , so we can just get some relative
  messages. Can anybody tell me what is the main problem about the kernel
  tuning or something.
  (PS. the bbsd process will use a lot SHM ..
   and the machine will quickly crash if the VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX set to too
   large )

   regards,
  	  alleyoop

  instruction pointer             = 0x8:0xc02305e5

   nm -n kernel |grep c0230
    c0230440 T pmap_addr_hint
    c0230468 T pmap_pte
    c02304a4 T pmap_kenter
    c02304cc T pmap_kremove
    c02304ec T procfs_read_regs
    c023050c T procfs_write_regs
    c023052c T procfs_read_dbregs
    c023054c T procfs_write_dbregs
    c023056c T procfs_read_fpregs
    c023058c T procfs_write_fpregs
    c02305ac T procfs_sstep
    c02305c8 T s_lock_init
    c02305d4 T s_lock
    c02305d8 t setlock
    c02305f9 t wait
    c0230600 t gotit
    c0230604 t bad_slock
    c0230616 t bsl1
    c0230644 T s_lock_try
    c0230660 T s_unlock
    c023066c T s_lock_np
    c0230684 T s_unlock_np
    c0230690 T generic_bzero
    c02306ac T i586_bzero
    c02306ea t i586_bz1
    c02306fb t i586_bz2

config in kernel

machine         i386
cpu             I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           SimFarm
maxusers        512

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=1000 #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci

# SCSI Controllers
device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
#device         sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device         cd              # CD

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
# pseudo-device splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

pseudo-device   vinum           #Vinum concat/mirror/raid driver
#options         VINUMDEBUG      #enable Vinum debugging hooks

options         AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

options         NMBCLUSTERS=20480

options         PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=720

options         SHMMAXPGS=8192
options         SHMALL=8192

#options                VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(350*1024*1024)"
options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(180*1024*1024)"