Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:05:52 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        DiaDems@Datasync.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ls shows several spaces between directories

please keep the line length below 75 characters.

# DiaDems@Datasync.com / 2002-10-13 01:33:03 -0500:
> Not sure if this is a problem or not. Anytime I do 'ls' I see
> sometimes two or more spaces between directories.

    like this?

    roman@freepuppy ~ 1004:0 > /bin/ls /
    COPYRIGHT       dist            kernel.GENERIC  opt             tmp
    bin             etc             kernel.old      proc            usr
    boot            floppy          mnt             root            var
    cdrom           home            modules         sbin            web
    compat          ishtar          modules.old     stand           winnt
    dev             kernel          n               sys

    it's just a formatted output. or would you prefer it this way?

    roman@freepuppy ~ 1004:0 > /bin/ls /
    COPYRIGHT dist kernel.GENERIC opt tmp bin etc kernel.old proc usr
    boot floppy mnt root var cdrom home modules sbin web compat ishtar
    modules.old stand winnt dev kernel n sys

> When I do 'cd   ' my 'pwd' becomes '/root'. In other words it seems
> these spaces are the root folder. Is it normal to see this in every
> directory?

    wrong. cd without arguments takes you to your home. type
    man `basename $SHELL` to learn more about the way it operates.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE