Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 06:33:02 -0600
From:      "Mike A. Oligny" <pandaro@freebsd.schema.ca>
To:        Noses <noses@noses.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplex follow-up:  lack of perfection.

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

Noses (noses@noses.com) wrote:

> In article <76928F3E231DE4478876350F083583360272DF@kt-exchange.edmonton.k=
anotech.net> you wrote:
> > Now that I have set the card to half duplex (previous post), a single
> > FTP transfer at ~500k/sec seems to stop all other connections to/from
> > that machine for the entire duration of transfer.  With ssh, I couldn't
> > get a single character through. =20
>=20
> Strange. I've got a notebook with a built-in 8139 and with FreeBSD as well
> as Windows 2000 I'm getting more than 5MByte/s across my switch. I guess =
the
> driver can't be that bad.
>=20

I wasn't complaining about "500KB/sec" specifically - you just missed the m=
ajority of
the conversation.  I was complaining about 2-3KB/sec.  :)

The problem is when the RealTek card gets plugged into a 10Mbps hub, it
doesn't automatically set half duplex. =20

-Mike

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--