Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 20:08:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@n2k.com>
To:        John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freeq)
Subject:   Re: gdb problem in 2.1.6

>>>>> "John" == John Brann <jbrann@brann.org> writes:

John> Hi, I've just moved my laptop to 2.1.6.  When I try to invoke gdb I
John> get:

John> ld.so: Undefined symbol "_vasprintf" called from gdb:gdb at 0x92344

John> This happens both with the installed copy and the one on the CD live
John> filesystem.  I'm guessing that one of my system shared libraries is
John> hosed, any idea which one?

`libc.so.2.2'.  I had the same problem after upgrading to 2.1.6.  So I
pulled down the sources for /usr/bin (susbin.?? on the CD), pulled off the
libc.so.2.2 there, and compared its size with the one I already.  They were
different.  `nm' showed that the one off the CD has `_vasprintf', but the
one I had on my system immediately after upgrading it didn't.  I installed
the new one, and gdb was happy as a clam.

Note for the unwary: You really want to take the system down to single user
mode to replace libc.so.2.2.  :-)
----
Brian Clapper, bmc@n2k.com
If mathematically you end up with the wrong answer, try multiplying by
the page number.