Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:22:11 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Copyright Issues

Mick Walker wrote:

>> Now, getting to the point, I was shocked when I went into the toilet
>> facilities in the pub, and found one of those vending machines that sell
>> novelty items of a sexual nature, featuring on the design something that
>> looked remarkably similar to the BSD Daemon.  To the best
>> of my knowledge, the BSD Daemon is copyrighted by Marshall Kirk
>> McKusick.
>> Is this a case of copyright theft? As obviously they are a profit making
>> company. Or have i got totally the wrong end of the stick.

Gee, in the U.S. I've never seen such a machine that wasn't
painted the same color as the wall.  Maybe I go to the wrong
establishments ....

Erik Norgaard wrote:

> You should contact Kirk McKusick mckusick[ at ]mckusick.com about it
> since he is the copyright holder.
>
> Regards, Erik

<OT> Not only that, you should probably hack into it and make
sure that COPYRIGHT still appears in the / dir ... maybe the Regents
need to get involved as well.  Or do you suppose there's no software
running on that box? 8-D
</OT>

On a more somber note, I concur that it seems pretty blatant.

Kevin Kinsey