Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:03:37 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@hw.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d problem

~
> The result is that I have a screen with the xdm login, but that
> the keyboard thinks it's listening to a vty. I managed to login as
> root and print xdm's pid to console (xconsole) and kill it, but
> still no characters would appear.

This is somewhat of a coincidence. I only found this out last night
after updating /etc with the latest rc.conf commits (which work fine,
btw, apart from a missing keybell= definition).

> I'm almost positive that this is a known issue, but is there a way
> to get around it?

xdm startup just needs to be delayed until /etc/rc completes. My
gut feeling is that there's definitely a race condition here that
should be solved "correctly", and that as machines/disks become
faster we're more likely to see this in the future, especially if
xdm is started before other things from /etc/rc.local or from
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

The workaround I ended up using is:

if [ X"$1" = X"start" ]; then
	echo -n ' xdm'
	(sleep 15; exec limits -C xuser /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm) &
fi

(remove "limits -C xuser" if you're not using -current.

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/