Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:54:10 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        curtis@orleans.occnc.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.maxswzone causing serious problems

I am not subscribed to -stable, so please keep me CC'd.

I mailed -stable about this problem, or a variation of it, earlier this
month:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-March/088467.html

What isn't publicly visible is the list of individuals I CC'd on that
mail who had touched this code in recent days: kib@freebsd.org,
des@freebsd.org, pluknet@freebsd.org, eadler@freebsd.org

I received no response from them on this matter.  At least two, however,
have been extremely busy commit-wise, so I imagine folks are just
swamped right now + have higher priorities.

I did not read or review your {naiveanalysis} section or your patch, as
tinkering with VM design/internals is *way* outside my comfort zone.

I will say that printing the sizes in a unit other than pages would be
generally helpful; I did try to figure out what value to use for
kern.maxswzone as a workaround by digging through kernel code but gave
up, as I wasn't able to truly determine what "pages" actually
represented (size-wise) in this specific context.

I hope someone with src commit bit will comment, as code slush for
11.2-RELEASE begins on April 20th:

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/schedule.html

Else a separate PR can be opened if requested.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |