Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:24:47 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "Bill/Carolyn Pechter" <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD advocacy

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:19:20 -0400 (EDT), Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:

>> I think FreeBSD's PR team needs to send some emails, make some calls, and
>> start kicking some major butt ;)

I recently sent a couple of email to some writers from PC week. I got
a response from one of them, but basically he did not seem
interested. The problem with just "sending emails" is that this is
just a notch up from Spam. We need to find ways to do a little
better. What I have been trying to do is to find recent articles from
writhers about Linux and send them a little info on BSD and see if
they may be interested in doing an article.

>I've been waiting to see just one name vendor go FreeBSD.
>I really think a common binary and installer for Free/Net/OpenBSD might
>work if we could unify enough to get this done in the name of commercial
>apps.  We'd have to lock down this format to NOT change, though.

That would be good for all 3 BSDs, but I don't know if this may be
possible. After all there were enough philosophical differences for
these 3 OS to be created so I don't know if the politics could be
worked out.

For those more technically oriented: Are the BSDs binary compatible?
If not how difficult would it be?

If the same package/port mechanism could be used would also be great.

I don't know how we ended up with 3 BSDs, but it would be great if at
least some parts of the efforts from all 3 groups could be combined.