Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:58:31 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tar just doesn't want to be KILLed

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:30:50AM +0100, Walter Hop wrote:
> > [btw, /mnt/dump is a dead NFS mount and tar is in the 'sbwait' state]
>
> Okay, NFS is the exception here.  You get this behaviour if the remote
> system dies and you're not mounting the NFS volume the correct way,
> but I'm not enough of an NFS expert to remember which options you
> should include to fix it.

'soft' or 'intr' should do it.  The former will make the system
recover by itself because the NFS RPC will eventually time out; the
downside is that if the NFS server goes down during a write, your
write will fail (I don't know if it'll return an error or fail
silently; I believe it's the former).  The latter will make the RPC
layer respect signals, so you'll be able to kill the offending
process; the downside to this is that it requires operator
intervention to recover.  Choose your poison.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org