Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:32:36 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to move a large website to another server

Hello all.
I have been given the job to move the contents of a rather large website
about 300 mb of files to my server and host the site.
Here are a few little problems I am having.
First, I figured I would just make a tar.gz file of the entire directory
tree and then transfer the file containing the archive over the network
via ftp.
I was told that this website had "unlimited" disk space, so I thought
that creating a tar.gz file would work.  After receiving an error that
read, gzip: stdout: quota limit exceeded, broken pipe, I decided to
check the quota they had on them.  Typing quota only reveiled a command
not found error.  Sheesh.
Anyway, I knew then that the only way I could see would be to use the
mget * command to transfer all the files over via ftp.
I ran into a small problem which is more of an annoyance than anything
else.
When I use the the mget * command, ftp seems to no that directories also
need to be transferred, and it seems to make the distinction between
directories and files.
But, ftp will report a local: file not found, if it tries to transfer a
file from a directory on the remote machine if the same directory on the
local machine does not exist.
Is there anyway that I can tell ftp to just go ahead and create each
directory on the local machine if it encounters the same directory name
on the remote machine?
I would like to preserve all directories in hole, which would have been
accomplished with tar.
Is there another way that I am missing that would be much simpler than
the method described above?
Thanks for any tidbits and info someone could pass along.
Jeremy