Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:48:46 -0400
From:      "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE:  Network card help needed

>Unable to get ed0 working. Kernel compiles and reboots, I see a quick
>>message flash by saying ed0 no such device.
(BTW, you can use dmesg to get a longer look at that message.)

This is a sort of answer with an embedded question:

When that happened to me it was because I hadn't given it the right IRQ and
port numbers for the particular ed0 card that I had. I had to edit
/boot/kernel.conf to give it the numbers. There was a very recent post here
asking how to find those numbers:

Subject: How to get irq and drq information?

The answer I saw assumed that FreeBSD knows the correct numbers. If that is
not the case, I still don't know the complete answer, but it seems to me
that I have in the past been able to get Windows 95/98 to divulge that
information. (I'm not sure that that meant that Windows had found out
without being told.) I have also on a couple of occasions gone to the
manufacturers website and downloaded the configuration programs for the
Ethernet boards in question. Those programs will not only tell you the
parameters of the board, but will let you change them. That turned out to
be necessary when we needed to put more than one Ethernet card into a
single computer. (It was very handy to have an extra old machine lying
around with DOS on it. We just moved the boards over to that machine and
ran the manufacturers' configuration programs there.)

If there's a a way to get FreeBSD to tell you the unknown parameters of an
Ethernet card that's plugged in but for which the software is not yet
correctly configured, I'd love to know about it, and it sounds like maybe
you would too.

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".