Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:49:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Gaskell <gaskell@isrc.qut.edu.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

Perhaps we (myself) am confused.  I thought you wanted a rsh like tool,
that used strong crypto (liek ssh does), but has a central control point,
rather than ssh's peer-to-peer architecture.

The rsh I mentioned in the MIT kerberos distribution is is kerberised.
the command is krsh and the server is krshd which can be started from
inetd.

Personally I would have agreed back in 1994 that the MIT beta distribution
of Kerberos was a little uninituitive to setup, but I think it's pretty
good now.  I know I had a web page back in those days detailing each step.
Others have now gone further.

Best wishes with your project.

Gary

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I was using rsh/rlogin with a kerberos server for something similar 5
> :years ago (kerberos v5) and it was all free, save the time of compilation
> :and configuration.
> :
> :What's the problem?  the rtools are part of the MIT distribution.
> :
> :Gary
> :
> :On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Mike Thompson wrote:
> :
> :> We are configuring a series of web servers running FreeBSD 2.2.8
> :> for a new Internet service.  To implement our service we need
> :> to provide a mechanism for secure communication between the
> :> servers using an rsh-like facility.
> :>
> :> One method of doing this would be to run SSH on each server for
> :> encrypted/authenticated communication.  However, the downsides
> :> of this are that there wouldn't be a central administration
> :> facility for managing authentication information (unless we
> :> create one), ssh has a relatively high CPU overhead to encrypt
> :> all communications and we would like to avoid paying the substantial
> :> license fees for SSH across a large number of servers.
> :>
> :> An alternative would be to run a rsh in combination with a
> :> Kerberos server to centrally administer authentication
> :> information between each server.  Communication between the
> :> servers would take place behind a router to prevent
> :> interception of the unencoded packets.  We would also use
> :> IPFW to restrict communication with rsh as further protection
> :...
>
>     SSh can be configured to use kerberos V fairly easily.  I set the
>     following in my /etc/make.conf.local:
>
> MAKE_KERBEROS5= YES
> KRB5_HOME= /usr/krb5
>
>     And then I build the krb5 port and the ssh port.
>
>     Of course, in order to use kerberos you need to setup a kerberos
>     server, and kerberos is extremely user unfriendly when it comes
>     to figuring out how it works.  But if you can get past that point
>     you can get ssh working w/ kerberos.
>
>     This is what BEST.COM does.  We also disallow passworded root logins
>     except on the console ( even w/ ssh ), and use the kerberos 'ksu' command
>     to control access to root.  This allows us to configure a crypted root
>     password in the password file good for logging into the console, but
>     useless if stolen and decrypted.  All other accounts have '*' for their
>     password ( i.e. ssh+kerberos logins only).  Use of ssh authorized_keys
>     files are also discouraged, though we do use them for direct root-root
>     cron'd administrative functions from two 'secured' machines.
>
>     rsh, rlogin, telnet, exec, and other administrative services are disabled
>     entirely on administrative machines.  sshd is the only way to get in apart
>     from finding a hole in the servers running that implement the function
>     and purpose of the machine.

> [...]

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Gaskell
Manager Secure Network Laboratory      Phone (07) 3864 1190
Information Security Research Centre   Fax   (07) 3221 2384
Queensland University of Technology