Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:38:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New LINT options: what is VM coloring?

> > Actually, the L1 cache is where it's most important (see paper references
> > in my previous posting).  Also, the Alpha can significantly benefit from
> > this, per Digital UNIX:
> >
> Is the L1 cache on the Alpha is direct mapped???  On the X86, it isn't.  When
> actually running tests, it doesn't seem to make ANY differences on the X86,
> due to the very small number of pages, and the mapping scheme.

I'm just quoting the literature, but it seems the answer to your
question is "yes".

For SMP, the answer is to make the compiler do it (obviously), and
to eat the overhead, as necessary.  I think that when the compiler
does it, the code is never invoked by the process runtime.  This is
more an issue of CPU affinity, however, and could be argued either
way...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---