Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:03:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        =?utf-8?B?R2Vycml0IEvDvGhu?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Linux/KDE and NFS locking on 7-stable

---559023410-851401618-1253199835=:1169

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Gerrit K=C3=BChn wrote:

> I upgraded a FreeBSD fileserver last week from 7.0-stable to 7.2-stable
> and experience some weird problems now with Linux NFS clients.
> The Linux Clients mount their home directories via nfs. I usually use
> "nolock" on the client side, because file locking was always troublesome
> in the past. On the Clients the users run kde 3.5 or 4.2.
> After the update of the server kde 3.5 quit starting up (after logging
> in with kdm) on the spalsh screen and comes up with some kind of I/O erro=
> when writing to the home dir. At the same time the server complains about
>
> kernel: NLM: failed to contact remote rpcbind, stat =3D 5, port =3D 28416

I think this happens when the nlm in the server tries to contact the
client. I believe setting the following in the server's /etc/rc.conf
and rebooting the server (or just killing off lockd on the server),
combined with "nolock" as you have on the above Linux mount, might
work ok:
 =09rpc_lockd_enable=3D"NO"
 =09rpc_statd_enable=3D"NO"

Imo, the nlm protocol was poorly designed and has always resulted in
interoperability problems. Although I fiddle with NFS, I avoid the NLM
like the plague:-)

Good luck with it, rick
ps: If you need to run the lockd on the server, starting the lockd in
     the Linux client might help, although I'd still use "nolock" on
     the Linux mount.

---559023410-851401618-1253199835=:1169--