Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 00:38:53 +0300
From:      Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

This is a bit long, bear with me - it comes from the heart.

I've recently switched over to FreeBSD and have been lurking on the
mailing lists for about a week or two. I see many people are discontent
with the degradation of the SNR. I see developers fleeing certain
mailing lists, especially -hackers since it seems to attract lots of
inappropriate questions.

Basically, I am seeing the beginnings of the Linux anarchy that drove me
away, to what seemed an orderly place. Recent posts on -hackers have me
scared. I don't want FreeBSD to deteriorate. I refuse to keep running
from chaos and switching OSes as soon as they reach "critical user
mass".

My suggestion is to change most of the mailing lists to a "can't post
for a week after you subscribe" mode. Anybody who is serious enough
about a subject will lurk for a while just to get a feel, anyway. We can
leave -questions, -newbies, -chat and -advocacy open. The latter two are
meant for this kind of drivel. We definetely don't want to discourage
newcomers by forcing them to wait a week for any help, so -questions and
-newbies must stay open. People there should expect many "stupid"
questions, that's why they are there helping.

After subscribing to any other mailing list, the return notice from
majordomo should explain that the subscriber is locked from posting for
a week.

I suggested the same about a year ago on some Linux lists and was
attacked for trying to become a "Net Police". With the current state of
affairs, I am sure a few of those people would now accept my suggestion
with open arms.

The pros here are obvious: we put an end to that knee-jerk reaction of
"I just got stuck. Quick! Where is the nearest mail client?". No more
people having a question, not bothering to check the charters out,
subscribing to the first list they see and posting the same questions
over and over again. We promote the "teach a man to fish, don't give him
a fish" philosophy I see Jordan pushing again and again.

After a week of lurking on a list, most anyone with a brain will get a
feel for what is appropriate there, even if they haven't yet read the
Handbook. And if someone can endure a week of -hackers or -current just
to post a silly question - well, they've earned it ;-)

As I said, the mess in the Linux scene drove me to look for something
better. FreeBSD seems to fill that need. I like the order imposed by a
core and committers etc. Let's keep it this way. I would very much like
to at least lurk on discussions going on between people much more
knowledgeable than I. I would love to lurk on architecture and design
talks between core members. If they move to private lists because of too
many "where is the power switch" questions, I am fubared.

	Yoav