Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:28:29 +0100 (GMT-1)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        irpurdie@comp.brad.ac.uk (MAD Mosher)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot partition?

MAD Mosher wrote / a ecrit:

> I'm very interested in nabbing FreeBSD for use at home. We've got 4
> machines in the house (one Atari with Linux, and three PCs (one
> Windows3.1, one DOS6.22 and one OS/2!)) and some spare 386 motherboards.
>
> Basically, would it be possible, using network cards, to get all four of
> these to 'talk' to a 386 running FreeBSD? I don't want to take up all
> your time asking you how, just simply is it?

Basically, yes, unless Atari Linux has no  TCP/IP  sofware,  or  can't
drive any Ethernet card (I know next to nothing about Atari's) --  but
I doubt it could be.

On  the Windows PC, you can use the Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows
and the  numerous  freeware  or  shareware  Winsock  applications  for
terminal  emulation,  file transfer, mail etc. On the DOS one, you can
get a packet driver for your particular  Ethernet  interface  and  use
NCSA Telnet for terminal and file transfer.

I'm not sure there's a "free" (or bundled) TCP/IP stack for OS/2, last
time I checked, it seemed that Warp's could only talk over async lines
(and not drive an Ethernet card). But I may be  wrong.  I'm  sure  IBM
sells one anyway.

You will probably also want to install SAMBA on your FreeBSD  machine.
This  will  allow DOS, Windows (and OS/2?) machines to use the FreeBSD
machine's filesystems as network drives.  The  client  is  built  into
Windows, and I think Microsoft gives the DOS client for free (on their
ftp  server  ftp.microsoft.com).

> Also,  it sounds like a nice OS that  I'd  like  to  consider  myself,
> but I
> also like DOS. Is it possible, like Linux, to get FreeBSD to install
> it's own boot sector and to ask the user which OS  to  use  at  boot time?

Yes... the FreeBSD installation process allows you to install a  piece
of  code  in your disk's MBR that will prompt you to hit F1 or F2 etc.
depending  on the partition (and disk) you wish to boot from, and then
let you choose which operating system to run.

Welcome to  FreeBSD.  Make  the  step,  take  the  necessary  time  to
carefully read the doc files and you won't regret it. It's a wonderful
system.

Good luck,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE