Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 16:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        "Miguel A. Ramírez." <maramirez@pananet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 5 May 1998, [ISO-8859-1] Miguel A. Ramírez. wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > 	I going to buy full FreeBSD operating system (4 CDs), and I want
> > to study Java in this platform, but I don´t know if the java source
> > created in FreeBSD run under Solaris, Sun Microsystems?
>
> Well, it better.  This is Java after all.

You see, the whole point of Java is to have a block of object code (a
*.class file) that can be interpreted by ANY Java-enabled environment (Be
it Netscape -on ANY platform-, OS/2, or ick -I hope me writing this
doesn't blow anything up- Internet Explorer)...Java is Java is Java, as
long as  YOU create it correctly.  Your question is pretty much
meaningless given the nature of Java, but I hope this DOES help clear up
the issue for you.

Java is compiled butit is not "linked" to the OS...

The only real platform specific concerns with the language are that you
install the correct Java tools to compile the classes.