Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:59:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      mi@aldan.ziplink.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1924: lpc's output erroneous and confusing

>Number:         1924
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       if lpd is not running, lpc will say ``no such file or directory''
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-960801-SNAP i386
>Environment:

	If lpd is not started, attempts to use ``lpc start lp'' will
	lead to :
		mi@rtfm:/mnt/root/invoice (128) lpc start lp
		lp:
			printing enabled
		lpc: connect: No such file or directory
			couldn't start daemon

	Instead of smth like: ``can not connect to lpd. Is it running?''
	Or even better: ``lpd not running. Try to start it (y/n)?''

	See above

>How-To-Repeat:

	kill `ps -ax | grep lpd | awk '{print $1}'`
	lpc start lp

>Fix:

	Seems like lpc relies on errno routines to report errors (perror()?)
	If I am wrong -- this is just another evidence of how confusing
	this output really is ;)

	BTW, I reported a similar problem with route(8), when the sysadmin-
	-beginner would sometimes get an error output with "Disk quota
	exceeded" instead of whatever is wrong really. Either perror()
	and stuff need to be fixed (serious and correct solution?), or
	things like lpc and route need to process errors on their own
	(quickier and dirtier solution?).
	It is hard to appreciate the advanced features of FreeBSD with
	bugs like this -- bugs contributing to the myth, that Unix is
	hard to understand.