Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:03:47 -0700
From:      "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 4 stable

> What I got was 4.9 prerelease. With this version I can't use
> /stand/sysinstall to install software. It keeps telling me that the FTP
> server doesn't have the ports for 4.9. The ports in /usr/ports work fine
> but it would be nice to use /stand/sysinstall.

Why use sysinstall for this? Why not pkg_add? Also, see my answer on
sysinstall below.

> QUESTIONS
> 1. Is 4.9 stable?

4.9-PRERELEASE is 4-STABLE

> 2. Is there a way I can use /stand/sysinstall to install software?

You may need to build sysinstall. cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall && make all
install

> 3. This system is being used at the moment. Is there any danger in using
> 4.9 prerelease?

I wouldn't think so. Is everything working ok? I'm using it on two machines
with no problems, but of course, YMMV.