Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 13:03:51 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Bill Hamilton <bhamil@cmpu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drive Recommendations?

Bill Hamilton writes:
> Related question: Is the Iomega Jaz supported under FreeBSD?
> Wouldn't that be cheaper than most tape drives?
> (Granted, you only have 2gb per cartidge and they are more costly that
> tape.)

What are Jaz selling for now? $235 for the drive, $100 for each 2G
platter? Just shooting at prices its very easy to spend more on media
than on the drive. I feel uncomfortable if I don't have at least 10
pieces of media laying around for my backup system.

IMHO a much better value is the Conner 4326 DDS-2 drive for $399 (2G to
4G, more if compression works for you) on $6 (90M DDS-1) to $12 (120M
DDS-2) tapes.

Haven't bought from there, and their site doesn't seem to work very
well at the moment but http://www.basoncomputers.com/ carries the 4326.

Finally, now their (aparently NT web server) is doing its job:
http://www.basoncomputer.com/td/td.htm

The Conner 8000 is a newer generation of the Conner (actually Archive
relabled Conner, supported by Seagate) 4326. Performance is the same.

Saving $20 the Conner 4324 is a 4326 without compression. IMHO spend
the $20.