Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:41:26 -0700
From:      Derek Wood <ddwood@highdensity.org>
To:        Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD.org visitors

> >     * Ease of installation: bsdinstall is new; maybe link screenshots
> >       of it or the section in the handbook that covers installation
> >       with bsdinstall.
> This has been done for a while:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-bsdinstall.html

Sorry, I meant in the context of the front page.

Like I said, something like 1/2 of the bounces are from the front
page, which doesn't serve as an end point. There aren't any direct
download links, and the news items are mainly stubs for longer
stories.

I think simplifing the FreeBSD experience (e.g, explicitly telling the
user that ports is where you get software from, and that 99% of the
time it will have what you want) and including more of what a
first-time user would want on the front page (installation, prebuilt
VMs, and assorted introductory literature) will help decrease bounces
from the site index.