Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 18:56:11 +0200
From:      "Loic Mahe'" <mahe@twam.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freeze with HP Colorado (wst0)

Hi all,

I finally installed an (internal) IDE HP Colorado 5 GB tape drive on
my FreeBSD 3.1 (device wst0). It worked fine since december (I use
it with tar).

But, since a few days, it stops working in the middle of a tar. If I
try to access to the tape again (with tar or mt -f /dev/rwst0 rewind
or anything else), it *freezes* my system (at least, XFree86 but the
system answers to a ping). After a while (certainly a timeout), these
messages appear on the console :

atapi1.1: controller not ready for cmd
wst0: Sense media type failed

And then FreeBSD (but not the tape of course) works well again.

Since I've got a CDROM drive on controller 1, after the HP Colorado
fails, the CDROM drive is also out of reach (mount /cdrom even gives a
freeze) :
atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0x0, status=40<ready>, error=0
atapi1.1: controller not ready for cmd
wst_done: wst0: ERROR code=2, status=0, error=0
atapi1.1: controller not ready for cmd

The only way to use my CDROM again is to reboot.

The tape driver is well detected at boot time :
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <HP      COLORADO 5GB/2.060002>, removable, intr,
	dma, iordis
wst0: Drive empty, reverse, eformat, qfa, ecc, 512b
wst0: Max speed=0Kb/s, Transfer limit=64 blocks, Buffer size=1024 blocks

So, I looked at the archive of freebsd-questions and freebsd-hardware,
but found nothing about that problem.
I didn't try the tape under Windows (no time to stop that critical
machine), so I can't say if the problem comes from the tape or the
wst0 device driver (or even the wdc driver ???).

Any help would be appreciated (reply by mail if possible).

Thanks.

Loic, Toulouse(France)