Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:37:45 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Antonio Yu" <ayu@interwoven.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd installation in IBM Thinkpad T20

At 4:51 PM +0800 10/18/00, Antonio Yu wrote:
>Dear Sir,
>
>I have tried installing FreeBSD 3.4 into my new IBM Thinkpad T20
>notebook but it seems that after the installation, I couldn't
>even start my computer!!
>
>Is it the problem in FreeBSD??

If you check the mailing list archives for this list, you'll
find that it's a problem with the T20.  Not everyone runs into
this problem, but it is a very common problem.

If you move the disk to some other machine, and change the
partition ID of your freebsd partition to match Linux, then
the machine will boot up fine (unless, of course, you're trying
to BOOT into freebsd...).

In our case (here at RPI), we have dual-boot T20's with
Win98 and FreeBSD, and (luckily for us) that seems to
work out fine.  We have not been successful with WinNT
and FreeBSD dual-boot setups.  Not yet, at least, though
we haven't been trying recently due to other projects.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute