Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:40:30 -0600
From:      Stephen Krans <sdk@visi.com>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA2, name resolution problem?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 06:12:29PM +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> sdk> I've just installed 4.3-BETA2 and compiled a custom kernel with IPv6
> sdk> disabled and have nothing IPv6 related in /etc/rc.conf.  I'm noticing slow
> sdk> telnet and fetch connect times, and after snooping with Ethereal, found
>
> How slow is it?
>
> sdk> that it's trying to resolve my FQ hostname via DNS with a type 'AAAA'
> sdk> (IPv6?) before falling back to type 'A'.  4.2-R doesn't appear to do this.
>
> Now, getaddrinfo(3) always queries AAAA RR in addition to A RR even if
> kernel doesn't support IPv6.  It is real behavior of getaddrinfo(3)
> without specifying AI_ADDRCONFIG.  Because, query for AAAA RR and A RR
> is done in same time, it should not be a problem.  Once there was DNS
> query order problem at 4.0-RELEASE days.  But, I believe it was
> completely corrected.

I'm seeing a ~ 60 second delay before the name is resolved and the
connection is made.  During that delay period, Ethereal shows several
consecutive AAAA lookups before an A lookup is sent and IP immediately
returned.

This server's DNS setup points to another FreeBSD machine running
8.2.3-REL, which is config'd as 'forward only' and passes my request (since
it's a external hostname) down the line to (I believe) a Windows NT server
where the name resolution is acutally done.

sk