Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 07:33:17 +0800
From:      Stephen Cooper <stephen.cooper@alphawest.com.au>
To:        "Dhr. H.R. Petru" <H.R.Petru@inter.NL.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Please help me out !!

----

----
> This isn't right is it ???
> Please, will you help he out again ......
> maybe I'm stupid of it's my lack of the English language ........
> Please help me ......
>
> Hendrik Petru from The Netherlands.

Windows
> >95
> >> programms.
> >> Start the installation of freeBSD from the bootfloppy (by the way;
> >have a
> >> freeBSD CD!!) and use the 2nd harddisk (D:) completely for freeBSD.
> >>
> >> What I did ....
> >>
> >> - select Novice setup
> >> - choose 1st harddisk ..... partion-editor pops-up
> >> - no changes are made, choose (q)uit
> >> - select the boot-manager
> >> - choose 2nd harddisk ........ partion-editor pops-up
> >> - select ' a ' to use the whole disk for freeBSD
> >> - again the menu :select boot-manager ... what do I choose (I've
tried
> >> bootmanager
> >>   and I've tried :'make no changes', but my problem doesn't
change!)
> >> - select ' a ' in the 'label editor' and freeBSD setup does still
it's
> >job
> >> - after this a couple of more meus .... no problems here !!
> >> - freeBSD gets installed on the 2nd harddisk (D:)
> >> .............. still no problems ..........
> >> after the installation is complete I may reboot my system .......
> >>
> >> NOW MY PROBLEM
> >>
> >> my BIOS starts up ... but after the beep of the floppy drive ....
> >nothing
> >> happens ...
> >> no windows 95 ... no freeBSD ... a complete halt ..... not even a
> >bootmanager
> >> or a DOS prompt ....
> >>
> >> what is to blame ....????
> >>
> >> But mostly how do I get freeBSD on the 2nd harddisk (D:) and keep
> >Windows 95
> >> on the 1st harddisk (C:) ???
> >>
> >> Please help me ... I don't know what to do ...
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> Hendrik Petru
> >>  << File: ATT00020.html >>
> >Without looking over your shoulder it is a little hard to say what
has
> >happened, but it would seem that at some stage in one of your
> >installations you have overwritten your boot sector. :(
> >
> >To recreate your boot sector
> >
> >1) Boot to DOS using a diskette, probably using the Windows 95 or
MSDOS
> >6 install disks.
> >2) Run fdisk /mbr (recreates the master boot record)
> >3) Try rebooting and see if you can get Windows 95 at that stage
> >
> >If not, try the diskette again. Can you examine your boot sector with
> >fdisk?
> >
> >By the way, you probably want Boot Manager running off your first
hard
> >disk as well as that is where the PC initially looks to boot.

Hmm, I had this happen to me as well. It is really a pain. You see this
problem in the list a lot.

A quick but ugly solution is to type in the name of your boot disk at
the boot: prompt,
something like 1:wd(1,a)

Permanent solution:
You are supposed to be able to create a file called "boot.config" in
your root partition with the name of your boot disk in it.
You are supposed to specify your boot disk in your kernel config file
and recompile your kernel (config kernel root on wd1)

These may work, they have for others, they never did for me (I got so
fed up with it I turned the nachine back into Windows NT). But!!! take
heart my config was different I had one IDE and SCSI disk and I was
using 2.2.2-RELEASE

Good Luck