Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:21:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: diskless hardware *design* suggestions

Don Yuniskis stands accused of saying:

> > Well, if 1M/sec is too slow, have you actually sized your throughput
> > requirements, or are you just going on "feel"? 8)
>
> Trying to leverage one design to handle several different
> applications (too expensive to turn the crank again for
> other designs).  So, aiming for the heaviest demands seems
> to be the way to go -- and let the smaller projects just
> incur some extra costs...

Gotcha.  Subsequent to the last message, I had a chance to look at the
SMC 91C100 (FEAST) datasheet.  I think you should look _very_
seriously at this puppy.  There's an SMC9000 driver already (parts are
software-compatible) for FreeBSD.

I know it's been mentioned before, and you dismissed it, but it's got to
be the most serious contender by far.