Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 15:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: USB difficulties

On 28-May-00 John Daniels wrote:

>>I'm not sure what the problem is about.  Can you show the output of
>>usbdevs?
>
># usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> addr 2: product 0x3301, Atmel Corp.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It doesn't know what this, but I suppose that's all the bad news.

>   addr 3: Comfort, Primax Electronics
> addr 4: API USB KB HUB, API
>   addr 5: API USB KB HUB, API
>
>>Also, do you have usbd enabled via 'ubsd_enable="YES"' in /etc/rc.conf?
>
> NO! I just found the FAQ entry describing how to enable USB support.  And I
> will follow the directions there.
>
> The freebsd-USB project site http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl ,
> describes adding support for USB.  But under "Staticaly compiled into the
> kernel" it only says to copy the relevant options from LINT into the kernel
> config file.  I didn't know that I needed to do more.

Well, you don't _have_ to use usbd, but otherwise you have to run all the
commands to enable devices manually, which can be a pain.

> One question that I have already is: why does the FAQ ask you to enable both
> ohci and uhci?  don't you just need one or the other?

You only need one, but if you don't know which one you need, enabling
both will ensure that you have the right one turned on.

>>How do you know it is actually failing?
>
> Umm, because it's not working. ;)

Well, you see, that doesn't tell me anything.  Have you ran
'moused -p /dev/ums0' and then tested the mouse for example?  usbd(8) will
automate some of that (since it already runs moused(8) automagically).
You do have to enable the devices before you can use them.  See the
ums(4) and ukbd(4) manpages.

> BTW, did you make any progress toward USB support statically linked into a
> GENERIC kernel?

It's in -current right now, along with USB support in sysinstall.  Right now
an AT keyboard is still needed during install because of the kernel's
userconfig however.  I hope to MFC it in time for 4.1.