Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:58:21 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two errors each affecting several ports

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Jeffrey Bouquet
<jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Reply below.

What does your PATH look like? Since there should be both /usr/bin
versions of these tools, could your environment be causing the wrong
ones to be used? Normally /usr/bin should precede /usr/local/bin in
the path, but I would hope that the binutils' Makefiles would address
this. Are you doing anything with PREFIX or DESTDIR? the configure
should show:
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
etc and:
checking where to find the target ar... just compiled
checking where to find the target as... just compiled
checking where to find the target ranlib... just compiled
checking where to find the target readelf... just compiled
etc.

It should create the target executable using the existing ones. it
does not remove any of the files in /usr/bin, so they should always be
available.