Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:54:57 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Welders causing dial-out to fail

Actually, I've been there.  Sort of.

Heavy electrical equipment can play utter hell on badly-shielded data
lines.  Voice and data use very different frequencies; interference
that can destroy can leave the other untouched.

I hear everyone bellowing "An analog modem is very different than a
data line!"  I would not be surprised if something like this was
happening there.  And people kind of expect faxes to look lousy.  :)

You might seriously look at the phone line you're using; run a
shielded phone line and see if your problem goes away.

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:00:37PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> This may be a little off-topic ...
> I have a client who I installed a FreeBSD proxy server for.
> It uses pppd to dial out on demand.  Right from the start, the
> client has been having problems with the reliability of the
> dial-out.  To make a long story short, after a lot of testing
> and speculating, we determined that its electric welders in the
> shop causing the problem.  There are five resistance welders in
> the shop and when all five are working, the Internet connection
> is simply unusable.  If two or three are in use, the Internet
> is slow, the connection drops a lot and has to dial 2 or 3 times
> to get a connection.  If nobody is welding, the Interenet
> connection works perfectly.
> The interference exists on all 4 phone lines, it's audable at
> times on the voice lines (but never very bad) and has never
> been bad enough to disrupt the fax machine.
> We had the phone company (Verizon) come in and they basically
> said, "Our wiring isn't the problem, you may want to have this
> building rewired."
> Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?  Rewiring
> the building is pretty much cost-prohibitive.  Verizon did install
> a noise filter at their junction box, but the improvement is very
> minimal.
> We're searching a few avenues for a solution, one being the
> manufacturers of the welding machines, but I thought I'd put the
> question out to this list and see if anyone else has worked through
> and found a solution for a problem like this.
>
> TIA
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technology