Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 1994 19:42:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh>
To:        current, hackers
Subject:   freefall hardware status

Again, just to note for the record:

Freefall's sd2, long suffering and causing us problems for about 2 months
now, finally got too flakey to live the day before yesterday and I took the
opportunity for some much needed maintainance on freefall.  Here's
what's been done:

o	Freefall's OS is upgraded to 2.0-current

o	Disk space reorganized and most old 1.x stuff eliminated.
	We now have multiple gigabytes free.

o	Memory increased from 32MB to 48MB

o	Quantum Prodrive 1800 upgraded to Quantum Empire 2100.  This should
	make system disk access a fair bit faster.

o	Machine upgraded from 486/DX2 66 to Pentium P5-90 PCI.
	Disk controller also upgraded from AHA1742 to Bt946c

Now before you Pentium haters out there start screaming "fdiv bug!
fdiv bug!" just let me say that I know about the problems with the
Pentium, thank you, and I have 5 of them here providing very good
service, one of which is ftp.cdrom.com.  We don't intend to do
ray tracing or pipe stress calculations on freefall, we intend
to process one hell of a lot of mail (as usual) and do lots of
CVS ops.  For this purpose, the Pentium will suit us admirably.

If you really must run some mathematical application that would
be affected by freefall's Pentium, then I gladly encourage you to
use thud, which is a 486/DX2 66.  It's the test machine anyway,
and freefall is NOT a compute server, so the usage policy fits
nicely anyway.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with any service that
freefall provides!

Thanks..

					Jordan