Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:23:08 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Don Tyson <tyson@stanfordalumni.org>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Don Tyson wrote:
> > "Anthony Atkielski" wrote:
> > > I don't work for Microsoft.
> >
> > http://www.atkielski.com
> >    Section:  "FAQs and Essays" Click:  "On Software" Scroll to:  "Microsoft"
> >    ] I have what the Wall Street Journal and the SEC would call a
> >    ] "financial interest" in Microsoft
>
> Remove Anthony because he has a financial interest in
> MS?  Remove him from the advocacy list if you want
> because this thread has gotten out of hand, but please
> don't establish a "financial interest" requirement for
> participating in the advocacy list.

He wasn't.  He was speaking to motive for the content of the
postings.  It's the content that people have found objectionable,
specifically the advocacy of Microsoft products on a mailing list
intended for meta-discussions on FreeBSD advocacy, and not for
particular *acts* of advocacy, and his incentive for such advocacy
not being altruistic, as he claimed.

The only possible purpose for such postings would be to "get
on the record" arguments *against* FreeBSD, in a forum which a
search would likely discover postings, when someone went looking
for arguments *for* FreeBSD.

I think I could get behind a Windows weenie who was a Windows
weenie out of genuine altruism; I'd still probably tell them
to post their advocacy of Windows to "advocacy@microsoft.com"
instead of "advocacy@freebsd.org", though, if they started
arguing their position on this list.

If I were a "conspiracy theorist", as Anthony claimed, I would
actually interpret his postings as a meta-meta attempt to provoke
an immune response out of an online community, in order to test
boundary conditions for self-assembling communities (an attempt
to study us, by someone who wasn't very deft at designing his
experiments), and claim that the Anthony identity was merely a
cutout (after all, has anyone here ever met him in person?).

I'd like to think that, were that the case, I've seriously skewed
the data, destroying its utility.  He should have started his
study of online communities  in 1986, when I did, and he'd realize
that he's not poking at the interesting parts.  8-) 8-).

> For that matter, if Bill Gates wants to participate and
> stays within the charter, what's the problem?

I'd personally welcome Bill's participation; for one, it'd be a
hell of a publicity coup.  Front page WSJ stuff... 8-).

-- Terry