Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:31:44 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        David Wassman <myfreebsd@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: probably a simple problem with permissions

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:53:57PM -0500, David Wassman wrote:
> I am probably understanding this problem incorrectly meaning there is a
> simple explanation that is escaping me. My /dev/cd0 is owned by root so
> I have tried to change both the owner and the group so I can use it as a
> user.
>
> I have tried:
> chmod 777 /dev/cd0
> chmod -R 777 /dev/cd0
> chgrp 777 /dev/cd0

It should at best be 666, and probably only 644 since cds are read-only.
I don't know if a cd burner needs to be 666 for ordinary users to burn
though.  device files, AFAIK, have no use for execute permissions.  And
I don't think 777 is a valid group name unless you decided to add it for
some reason.  If your cdrom device is cd0 then add "perm cd0 0644" to
/etc/devfs.conf